Yay! I’ve made my first Lynne@Lily'sQuilts fab new EPP block - the Georgetown Carnival … I’d been playing with Katy I’mAGingerMonkey’s Spring Carnival so I already had tons of papers cut … To see if I liked it, I decided not to adapt any of my existing blocks but to start from scratch … (the only proviso being gingham had to be included)
So, I raided my stash for deliciously luscious solids including Kona Aqua (the first time I’ve ever used it! can you believe it?!) and my last scrap of a Kaffe shot cotton in green/pink.
The background fabric is a wonderful heavy silky grey linen from MLM (MyLinenMan)
I’ve been using my Go! Baby 2.5” strip die to cut my squares … it’s a genius way of accurately cutting stacks at a time. I can cram about 8 layers into this baby.
… ssshhh don’t tell anyone at Accuquilt, but I cut my hexagon papers with it too! I think the trick to tools like the Go! Baby is to get them to work for you, rather than have them sit gathering dust.
I use the Go cutting mat as a ruler to precut my strips.
I really don’t mind losing the little side strips of fabric you get as wastage. I use em for tying tomato plants or parcels.
If I’ve got something accurate to work with at the start of the process I’m less likely to waste time trimming and faffing later …
TOP TIP Roll a bit of scrap wadding into a ball and rub to get all the threads out of the blade part of the cutter and the grooves in the cutting mat. Works a treat.
token cat snuggling fabric pic
As I’m going to be appliqueing the blocks onto linen, I thought it might be fun to try adding some hexies to the original ferris wheel … might cut them into halves.
I think the sharp triangles of negative space are cool, but not sure if I like it that much … I need to see it with fabric …
I’m away for a few days this week, so it’s nice to have an on-the-go project to pack! And such bright cheery colours too … yumtastic! Thanks for the inspiration Lynne …
I’ll be posting a couple of new Master Your GIMP tutes at the end of next week – including how to create a blog header from scratch… In the meantime, it’s off with the puter and on with the